Friday, July 9, 2010

Devil's Horse


I got into a conversation with one of my co-workers about this large black grasshopper that they call "The Devil's Horse". I told him to bring me one so I could see it. Well he brought one in today... and yep... it's damn big. They are actually in the short horned grasshopper family and their real name is the Southeastern Lubber. They only occur in the deep south. So growing up in central Mississippi we didn't have these monsters. Some information here if you care to read more.

2 comments:

compuwise said...

Uh ANYWHERE in Mississippi is the deepsouth. So is Louisiana. Florida is South but generally not the country/redneck south most talk about. And I say this as a Mississippian born and bread. I grew up in McComb and I saw these my whole life. I life in Central MS now and I still see these all the time. Just saying.

Unknown said...

Well they may have made it to central MS... but I never saw them as a kid. Of course there were no Geckos around either and they finally spread around. Just saying.