I don't remember where this came from... but for many years (on occasion), I'll make these "Italian Stuffed Tomatos" as a side dish. Typically when we grill out. So if you want to do this it's real simple. Also you can make them ahead of time and slide in the fridge for later on.
- Buy you some largeish vine tomatos, Italian bread crumbs and Mozzarella cheese.
- Take a baking sheet and hit it with a little olive oil.
- Cut tomatos in half and take a spoon and take out the insides and place in a large bowl.
- Place gutted tomatos on the baking sheet. Hit those with some salt and pepper.
- Take a knife and cut up the tomato centers if they are chunky. Not too fine... just chopped.
- Add bread crumbs, cheese and some oregano, salt, pepper and any other seasoning that you care to use. Personally I do it a little different every time. But stick to Italian type seasonings.
- Mix all of that together until it make a fairly thick filling.
- Spoon into tomatos and top with more cheese. You can use light cheese too so it'll be a little healthier.
- Pop those in the oven and just let them go for a while till they bubble. Maybe brown a little.
They taste not unlike a pizza when they are done... but a hell of a lot better for you. The photo above shows them before they are cooked by the way. The photo below... once done.