Thursday, February 18, 2010

Sugar Skull Head Process

Photobucket


Just thought it would be fun to document this thing from start to finish. Last year I saw "The Skeleton Krewe" and I thought to myself that it would be cool to do something similar. Lucky for me we all sort of went in the same direction in regards to our "Day of the Dead" theme. So once I decided to commit to the large paper mache head I had to get rolling. I really didn't have time to sculpt out a proper skull, so I just decided to work off of a circle. I bought an exercise ball and just hit it. I bought a ball... a bike helmet... a few cans of expandable foam... that's all I had in it. About $40. The rest is paper mache, paint and a two part epoxy kit I already had. I worked on it for a little while each night over the course of about three weeks. It all worked out. The main reason I did this was I wanted to go big our first year here.. also I'm typically a wall flower and beg off of costuming with everybody... so I owed'em one.

2 comments:

Happy Kreg said...

I wondered how you would keep that thing from wobbling all over you. That helmet was a really smart idea! Plus, all that extra protection if your drunk ass fell down!

Unknown said...

Yeah I built up the top of the head with expandable foam... set the helmet in place and foamed around to lock it in. True about the falling down... but I had to work the next day so I was having fun... but not that much.